Junior to Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer
30 Forensic Engineering is one of Canada’s largest and most respected multi-disciplinary forensic firms. Our core team of 70 professional investigators, engineering technicians and support staff is enhanced through relationships with some of the top scientists, standard-makers and specialized consultants in North America serving a wide variety of industries including: Insurance, Manufacturing, Legal, Construction, Health Care, Commercial and Residential Property, Financial, Government, Hospitality, Mining, Renewable Energy and Transportation.
If you want to be a part of this fun, exciting, growing firm and contribute your skills, knowledge and abilities to our diverse and growing group of professionals, we are looking for you.
The Geotechnical Engineer will report directly into the Geotechnical and Mining Practice Lead, collaborating with other subject matter experts to consult with clients; perform examinations, testing, and analysis; and prepare engineering reports and findings in a clear, concise, efficient and professional manner.
Role responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Provide services in geotechnical-related investigations, projects, and tasks, including the development and implementation of desk study and field investigations
- Support senior staff in business development, as well as the promotion of advancing market growth opportunities
- Investigate geotechnical, mining and heavy civil infrastructure failures
- Participate in multidisciplinary investigations with experts of other disciplines (structural, transportation, environmental etc.).
- Perform site examinations relating to loss/failure
- Effectively communicate investigation and analysis findings to clients and others within boardrooms, during mediations, and trials
- Review plans and specifications to determine whether they meet relevant guidelines, codes, and other regulations
- Prepare field investigation plans including intrusive and non-intrusive investigation methods. Supervise drilling and field testing (CPT, SPT etc.), identify and classify soils and prepare borehole logs, determine geotechnical properties from field and laboratory tests.
- Perform engineering calculations and numerical analyses to identify causes and contributing factors to failures,
- Perform construction risk assessments including review of design specifications and drawings, construction methods and schedules and construction monitoring.
- Prepare technical reports based upon sound investigations and analysis
- Manage projects according to client-approved scopes of work, and deliver high quality reports on time and within budget
- Work towards providing expert testimony in court
- Start to develop and grow existing client base
- Participation in industry events and seminars
- Develop an understanding of the core values of the firm and familiarization with the strategic plan
- Perform additional duties as required
- Master’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering
- A minimum of 5 years of experience (post-degree) working in a consulting engineering environment ( design and project manager
- Experience in geotechnical field investigations and testing and in laboratory testing methods.
- Currently registered or eligible for registration with the PEO
- A sound base in the application of geotechnical engineering to problem solving
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Available for travelling to investigation sites in remote locations
- Excellent technical writing skills are a must
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients
- Good presentation skills are an asset
- Proficient in geotechnical numerical analyses with commercial software packages (slope stability, pile foundation, shoring, settlements etc.)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Competencies and Attributes:
- Ability to manage projects
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Self-motivated and ability to self-manage
- Capacity for learning
- Capability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to communicate effectively – both oral and written
- Proficient in learning new computer applications
- Thorough and results-oriented
- Excellent teamwork skills
We are problem solvers. Together, our passionate and diverse professionals are relentless in their pursuit of the truth. We bring clarity to complex scientific problems to help our clients make decisions with confidence.
How we work
Our corporate philosophy is based on providing an unparalleled combination of technical excellence, powerful reporting and professional service. That, combined with our commitment to ethical practice, has quickly established us as the preeminent forensic firm in Canada servicing the legal and insurance industries. The firm is progressive in its management practices and is committed to implement systems and protocols that will support ongoing growth.
30 Forensic Engineering Inc. believes in providing an inclusive workplace where all individuals have the opportunity to succeed. We are committed to doing so by providing accessible employment practices. Contact a member of HR department if you need accommodation at any point in the application process.
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their cover letter and resume through our applicant tracking system: https://30fe.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=66
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those qualified for the position will be contacted.