Environmental Engineer or Scientist (Intermediate Associate)
30 Forensic Engineering, based in Toronto, has been serving the insurance and legal industries for 16 years and is one of Canada’s largest and most respected independent and employee-owned multi-disciplinary forensic firms. Our core team of 50+ professional investigators is enhanced through relationships with some of the top scientists, standard-makers and specialized consultants in North America. We provide world-class engineering and consulting expertise in: Civil/Structural, Geotechnical and Mining, Personal Injury and Collision Reconstruction, Electrical and Renewable Energy, Environment, Health and Safety, Remediation, Materials Failure/HVAC, and Fire and Explosion investigations.
Our corporate philosophy is based on providing an unparalleled combination of technical excellence, powerful reporting and professional service. That, combined with our commitment to ethical practice, has quickly established us as one of the most reputable forensic firms serving the legal and insurance industries.
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to work on diverse, challenging and engaging projects and to fast track your career? If you want to be a part of this fun, exciting, growing firm and contribute your skills, knowledge and abilities to our diverse and growing group of professionals, we are looking for you.
The Environmental Engineer or Scientist (Intermediate Associate) will report directly to the Principal of the Environmental & Remediation Group and will collaborate with other discipline experts to serve clients in the context of due diligence environmental site assessments, environmental impairment insurance claims, and environmental and professional practice legal matters. This work will include environmental site assessments, property examinations, peer review support, data reduction and evaluation, and the preparation of technical reports at the highest standards of technical writing.
Key responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Partner with Principals and Senior Associates to perform site examinations related to environmental losses/failures.
- Communicate investigation findings and analyses to colleagues, clients, and regulators.
- Manage projects according to client-approved scopes of work, and deliver consulting services on time and within budget.
- Review plans and specifications to determine whether they meet relevant guidelines, codes, standards, and other possible regulatory requirements.
- Test operation of systems and equipment.
- Develop and prepare technical drawings and simulations from field measurements, sketches, technical calculations, specification sheets, and other data.
- Prepare technical reports based on professional practice standards and sound investigation and assessment principles.
- Develop an understanding of the core values of the firm and become familiar with the firm’s strategic plan.
- Work towards becoming technically independent (i.e., final sign off) in applicable aspects of environmental site assessment, contaminated site risk management, and remediation practices, possibly including the assessment and remediation of hazardous materials and designated substances.
- Work towards qualification as an expert before the courts.
- Develop and grow a client base.
- Participate in industry events and seminars and represent the firm at the highest standards of professionalism.
- Perform additional duties as required.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related science or engineering discipline, and demonstration of advanced independent engineering or science research is greatly valued.
- Holds a license as a Professional Engineer, Registered Occupational Hygienist, Canadian Registered Safety Professional or Certified Engineering Technician; alternatively, the candidate is eligible for a license or registration within two years of hire.
- A minimum of five years’ experience (post-degree) in an engineering or science consulting or consulting/research environment; preferred background in indoor environmental and hazardous materials assessments.
- Experience in field and construction-site settings, including proper use of personal protective equipment and compliance with health & safety requirements in Ontario.
- A strong foundation in the application of engineering or science principles and the scientific method to problem-solving.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office based-applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Working or advanced knowledge of certain engineering and science software (e.g., analytical chemistry data reduction, statistical analysis, modelling, graphical software)
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Proven ability to successfully lead projects.
- Proven advanced organizational
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and simultaneously manage multiple assignments.
- Self-motivated and ability to self-manage.
- Capability to work independently as well as collaboratively within a team.
- Proficient in learning new computer applications and software.
- Thorough and results-oriented.
- Excellent teamwork skills.
- Capacity for learning.
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their cover letter and resume through our online application process, by visiting https://30fe.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=19. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those qualified for the position will be contacted.